Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Lego Mom

There are soccer moms and there are Lego moms. I am in the Lego Mom camp. My oldest son is a lover of legos and has been since he was four years old. This has made me a Lego Mom. While I had seen Legos before my son became interested in them, I didn't play with them as a child. I think my family missed the introduction of Legos as I was growing up. We had Lincoln Logs and such but not Legos. That said, I have become a lover of Legos with my son.

The ability to create something new and stories to go with them is limitless. It helps to promote creativity, fine motor skills, and spatial understanding. Most importantly, it is fun.

As a Lego mom, I have found myself as the Leader of a Kindergarten Lego club at our local children's museum. While searching around for lesson plan ideas for our monthly meeting, I have felt a little in the lurch. There are not as many resources out there that were helpful with this age range 5-6 years old or lego lesson plans in general. I want the children to learn something about enginneering or science instead of just having a chance to build.

I have created this blog to help others hear about lesson plan ideas for a Lego Club and hopefully to hear from others about their lesson plans. If you have a great Lego Lesson plan idea, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment